Apple reveals the real reason for shipment delays with their VR/AR Headset next year.
With the augmented reality and virtual reality headwear reportedly in production, the arrival of Apple’s long-rumored and eagerly awaited first headset release was believed to be just around the corner.
Tech Times initially reported that Apple’s VR/AR headset will arrive in January 2023. However, an unfortunate development reveals that perhaps its shipment may arrive later than expected.
Did Apple’s AR/VR Headset Run Into ‘Software-related Issues’?
According to information released by renowned Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, mass shipments of Apple’s upcoming augmented reality and virtual reality headset, anticipated to be released next year, may be postponed until the second half of 2023 due to unspecified “software-related issues.”
Kuo took to Twitter to post a thread regarding the development, stating that shipments of the highly anticipated AR/VR headset may have a delay due to “software-related issues”.
My latest survey indicates that the mass shipment schedule of Apple's MR headset may delay to 2H23 because of software-related issues (vs. the previous estimate of 2Q23).
— 郭明錤 (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo) December 4, 2022
While Kuo did not specifically mention the software issue, Apple Insider suggests that it may be related to the VR/AR headset’s operating system, known as realityOS or xrOS.
Notably, this is not the first time Kuo has leaked information regarding the Apple VR/AR headset. Mac Rumors reports that the Apple analyst had initially shared claims that Apple intended to debut the headset in a media event in January 2023 and later on start mass distribution in the second quarter of 2023.
However, due to the recent development, Kuo expressed in his thread that he is unsure whether the delay would cause the Apple VR/AR headset announcement to be postponed, but did point out that an excessively long time lag between a media event and mass shipments could harm Apple’s sales.
What to Expect for Apple’s AR/VR Headset
While Apple has shared no official details regarding their upcoming AR/VR headset, several online leakers and Apple analysts have shared updates regarding its production.
According to Tom’s Guide, here are the detailed updates regarding Apple’s VR/AR headset:
- Production on the Apple headset may begin by March 2023.
- A new report claims that the Apple headset will come with iris-scanning biometric security.
- Mark Gurman from Bloomberg has again claimed the headset will arrive in 2023.
- Trademarks have been spotted for Reality One and Reality Pro branding, which have been linked to Apple. This implies that there could be a Reality Processor.
- The latest report from Ming-Chi Kuo suggests that the price for the Apple VR/AR headset will be between $2,000 and $2,500.
- If you fancy getting your hands on a cheaper version of the Apple VR/AR headset, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo’s saying you may have to wait a couple of years.
However, Apple fans and tech enthusiasts should still take this information with a grain of salt, as Apple is yet to debut its upcoming AR/VR headset.