- File Explorer could be stopped from crashing in Windows 11 if you clear the cache regularly.
- Checking for your operating system’s updates might offer important support.
- You can also run certain commands that will help in resolving this problem.
XINSTALL BY CLICKING THE DOWNLOAD FILE
File Explorer is an important integrated part of the latest OS versions. In these terms, keeping it running in proper conditions is mandatory.
To find out how File Explorer is different now from the previous OS version, check out some new features, comparisons & update tips.
Besides the great features that the new File Explorer brings, users have claimed to get into some worrying problems.
You might sometimes notice that in Windows 11, File Explorer keeps crashing without any certain explanation. There are some reasons why this happens and we’re going to describe them.
Most common reasons why your File Explorer keeps crashing
➡ Improper system settings
One of the most common reasons why Windows 11 File Explorer crashes can be related to improper system settings. Thus, you should consider adjusting and optimizing its advanced options.
If this is why your File Explorer can not properly work, make sure you’re going to find some solutions later in this article.
➡ Incompatible third-party software
It is possible that third-party antivirus programs or other kinds of harmful apps can cause damage to Windows File Explorer, by entering into conflict.
This reason might generate delays or lags when using File Explorer. To avoid such situations, you should definitely find out how to block third-party app install on Windows PCs.
➡ Large number of files in history
Having too many files in File Explorer can make it oversaturated by unnecessary storage. In these terms, history will negatively affect it, causing crashes or slow-down situations.
➡ Corrupted system files
Corrupted system files might get inoperable or unusable due to various reasons. Thus, they can also affect how your File Explorer acts.
This usually happens unexpectedly, leaving you unable to access File Explorer or to normally use it.
You should know that these reasons are not uncommon, so there are plenty of options to fix them. Fortunately, they are similar to what you know was applied to fix Windows 10 file corruption issues.
To find out some of the best solutions to consider if your Windows 11 File Explorer is acting weird, make sure you read this article completely.
What to do if Windows 11 File Explorer keeps crashing?
1. Adjust the File Explorer options
- Open Control Panel.
- In the top right corner search bar, type File Explorer options and open it.
- Select the General tab.
- Next to the Open File Explorer To: drop-down the menu, then select the This PC option.
- Click on Apply, then on OK.
This is the first and the easiest method to try if your File Explorer keeps crashing. It might help considering this issue can occur due to some improper settings.
2. Clear the Cache
1. Click on the Start button on your taskbar to open the search box.
2. Type Control Panel in the search box, then click on the first result.
3. In the top right corner search bar, type File Explorer options and press Enter to open it.
4. Navigate to the General tab.
5. In the Privacy section, click on Clear.
6. Select OK to confirm the selection.
It is possible that sometimes the File Explorer history cache gets corrupted or turns out too big. In these situations, files and folders are loading slowly or not loading at all.
With this option, you’ll be able to clear the history and also prevent unnecessary memory usage, which might be some explanations for your Windows 11 File Explorer crashing.
3. Check for Windows updates
- Open Settings.
- Go to Windows Update.
- Select Check for updates.
With this method, your OS will automatically recommend and fix problems like corrupt settings that make your Windows 11 File Explorer crash.
4. Use Command Prompt
- Click on the Start button, type Command Prompt, then right-click on it and select to Run as administrator.
- In the pop-up window, type the following command, then press Enter:
- Wait until the process is completed.
- Restart your PC.
This command is also known as System File Checker and allows you to scan and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Thus, it can definitely help if your Windows 11 File Explorer is crashing.
5. Execute certain commands with Windows PowerShell
- Right-click on the Start icon, then select Windows Terminal (admin).
- In the PowerShell, type the following command, then execute it:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online –RestoreHealth
- Wait until the process is completed.
- Restart your PC.
6. Restart Windows 11 File Explorer
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete on your keyboard, then select Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab, search for the File Explorer, then select it.
- Click on the Restart button.
After completing these steps, the process will automatically terminate, restart, and fix common problems, such as the one presented in today’s article.
- How to fix File Explorer problems in Windows 10/11
- Fix: File Explorer crashes after right-click [Easy guide]
- How to fix File Explorer crashes in Windows 10/11
- Explorer.exe application error in Windows 10/11 [BEST FIXES]
- How to stop Windows 10 from closing programs without warning
How can I prevent my Windows 11 File Explorer from crashing?
We consider properly delivering some useful options to prevent your Windows 11 File Explorer from crashing. Check out the following tips:
- Constantly update your OS
- Regularly clear your File Explorer history
- Fix the corrupt files and drives
- Remove items from the Quick Acess menu
- As an additional suggestion, you should disable third-party extensions and antivirus programs.
You won’t get again into File Explorer troubles by constantly applying the above aspects.
If your File Explorer is having problems in Windows 11, make sure at least one of the listed options will help you with a minimum of effort. Otherwise, we prepared more solution in this articles.
Note that with its most requested feature, Windows 11 File Explorer allows you to add additional tabs, which can ensure a much-personalized view. Considering this, Microsoft Store is one of your main allies.
However, for those who are not so happy with the latest UI changes, feel free to read how to get the Windows 10 File Explorer ribbon on Windows 11.
Do not forget to share your thoughts and opinions regarding the presented subject, by leaving a comment in the section below.