We are currently hiring a full-time editor to work with freelance tech writers, edit articles before publication, and write some of their own awesome pieces for How-To Geek. Want to throw your hat in the ring? Then read on to find out more!
Technology Editor and Writer—Full-Time, Remote
Are you an experienced writer and editor who would be comfortable working in a fast-paced, remote environment, managing a group of freelance writers to help ensure that we deliver the highest quality content? This might be the job for you!
(Note: This job is a remote, work-from-home position.)
In short, How-To Geek is looking for a geek’s geek and a solid writer/editor. You should have experience working with and writing about computer technology (Windows, PC hardware, macOS, Android, iPhone, Chrome, Microsoft Office, etc.), and be able to keep up with new technological developments. You should also be comfortable editing our other writers and coaching them to help them become better writers.
What You’d Be Doing
- Work with freelance writers to ensure articles are accurate, well-organized, match what was actually assigned or pitched, and answer any additional questions the subject matter raises. Essentially, ensuring that the idea that was pitched is what ended up being written and that it is a quality piece of work.
- Assisting our Editor-in-Chief in shepherding articles from pitch/assignment through the idea generation and draft phases. You’ll be helping writers find the right angle in their ideas, fleshing out outlines, editing the drafts of those articles, and guiding writers through any needed revisions.
- Occasionally writing articles yourself when the subject matter is appropriate.
- Demonstrable experience writing on various technologies
- Practical experience working with major operating systems (desktop and mobile) and applications, as well as a solid grasp of general technology
- Ability to dive into new technology subjects and learn them quickly
- Ability to work one-on-one with writers on shaping their articles
- Experience writing and editing technology articles
- Detail-oriented and deadline-focused, with a get-things-done attitude
- Strong attention to detail with emphasis on accuracy and quality
- Ability to prioritize work to balance multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in WordPress preferable
- Basic working knowledge of SEO principles is a plus
About the Job
- 401(k): Employer match up to 4%; eligible after 3 months of full-time employment.
- Health Insurance: Medical, dental, and vision cost-sharing insurance plan.
- Paid holidays: We offer the following paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Birthday of Martin Luther King Jr., Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth National Independence Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day.
- Non-Cashable PTO (Vacation and Sick Days): The Company offers 120 hours of non-cashable PTO for combined paid vacation and sick pay annually. Employee is permitted to only carry over 80 hours of Non-Cashable PTO each calendar year.
- Remote Work. You will be working from home and should have your own computer with reliable Internet access.
- Must be legally allowed to work in the US, based in the US, and available to work normal East Coast (EST) business hours.
We will offer a competitive salary based on your experience.
How to Apply
If you’d like to apply for this job, head over to our job posting on Indeed and hit the big blue “Apply Now” button.