Image: Push Square
FIFA 23 is the latest in EA Sports’ long-running football franchise, developed by EA Canada. The soccer simulation depicts the 2022-2023 season across many of the world’s best leagues, including the Premier League, Bundesliga, and La Liga. It also includes a number of licensed competitions, like the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, as well as the upcoming FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 and FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia/New Zealand 2023.
Spanning a variety of modes, including Career, Ultimate Team, Volta Football, and Pro Clubs, in this FIFA 23 guide we’re going to share our Tips and Tricks for How to Win More Matches. We’ll show you how to get started in our FUT 23 walkthrough, and reveal the Best Formations and Custom Tactics for FUT. And don’t worry if you’re more of a single player fan, because we’ve got you covered with the Best Hidden Gems in Career Mode and much more.
Please note there are some minor differences between the PS5 and PS4 versions of the game which may lead to some inconsistencies in our instructions.
On this page:
- FIFA 23 Guide: FUT 23 Walkthrough
- FIFA 23 Guide: Career Mode
- FIFA 23 Guide: Best Players
- FIFA 23 Guide: Gameplay
- FIFA 23: FAQs
- FIFA 23 Guide: Tips and Tricks for How to Win More Matches
- Defending Tips: How to Concede Fewer Goals
- Attacking Tips: How to Score More Goals
- General Tips: How to Keep Your Head
FIFA 23 Guide: FUT 23 Walkthrough
Image: Push Square
FIFA 23 Ultimate Team, or FUT 23 as it’s also known, is the flagship mode in FIFA 23, where you’re tasked with collecting Players in order to assemble teams of superstars from both the past and present. Chemistry is a key mechanic which buffs the attributes of Players, if they’re lined up in the same squad as teammates of the same nationality, league, or real-world team. In this part of our FIFA 23 guide, we’ll help you to build an unstoppable Ultimate Team and show you how to win more matches in modes like FUT Champions and FUT Rivals.
- Best Formations and Custom Tactics for FUT
- How to Make Coins Fast in FUT
- How to Complete SBCs and Master Chemistry in FUT
- All FUT Packs Explained
- FUT Champions – All Rewards, Release Dates, and Times
- Division Rivals – All Rewards, Release Dates, and Times
- Squad Battles – All Rewards, Release Dates, and Times
- When to Buy and Sell Players in FUT
FIFA 23 Guide: Career Mode
Image: Push Square
For single player gamers, Career Mode is the holy grail of FIFA 23. Much like last year, you can take charge of a real-world club, but also create your own. The Player Career has also been revamped, allowing you to develop your own on-field and off-field personality, as you work your way up to international glory. In this part of our FIFA 23 guide, we’re going to help you find the Best Hidden Gems in Career Mode and much more.
- All Starting Transfer Budgets in Career Mode
- Best Hidden Gems in Career Mode
- Highest Potential Players in Career Mode
FIFA 23 Guide: Best Players
Image: Push Square
Whether you’re eager to dominate against the CPU in Career Mode or blow away the pro players in FUT Champions, you’re going to want to assemble the strongest squad possible. For the next part of our FIFA 23 guide, we’re going to share our lists of the best players, helping you to better identify the superstars that will truly take your team to the next level.
- All 5 Star Skill Players
- Best Dribblers
- Best Passers
- Fastest Players
FIFA 23 Guide: Gameplay
Image: Push Square
It doesn’t matter which mode of FIFA 23 you’re playing, it’s always a good idea to familiarise yourself with the basics and setup your game correctly. For this part of our FIFA 23 guide, we’re going to focus on small details you can learn or settings you can tweak to become a beast on the pitch.
- Best Controller Settings and Camera
- Best Skill Moves to Learn
- How to Do Power Shots
- This FIFA 23 guide is a work in progress so be sure to check back for more information
FIFA 23: FAQs
Image: Push Square
For the penultimate section of our FIFA 23 guide, we’re going to dig into the questions that haven’t necessarily been answered anywhere else.
- Release Dates – EA Play Trial and Ultimate Edition Early Access
FIFA 23 Guide: Tips and Tricks for How to Win More Matches
Whether you’re playing Career Mode matches against the CPU or trying to reach the upper-echelons of FUT Rivals, the goal in FIFA 23 is learning how to win more matches. For the final part of our FIFA 23 guide, we’re going to help you to master the pitch, and become an unstoppable force both online and offline.
Defending Tips: How to Concede Fewer Goals
If you want to know how to win more matches in FIFA 23, then a good place to start is by conceding fewer goals. It goes without saying that defending is the foundation upon which your results are built: if you don’t concede any goals then the absolute worst result you can get is a draw. In this section of our FIFA 23 guide, we’re going to share some defending tips that will hopefully help show you how to concede fewer goals:
- A good place to start is to defend with midfielders whenever possible. If you’re using a formation with CDMs, then select them with either the L1 button or the right analogue stick and use them to challenge attackers, block passing lanes, and track runners. The reason to do this is because it’ll prevent you from stepping out of shape with your centre backs, allowing the AI to retain a robust defensive line. In most cases this will mean that even if your CDM is beaten, your centre backs will still be available to mop up any danger.
- In most cases, you don’t need a standing tackle or sliding tackle. The best way to defend is by staying on your feet and jockeying your opponent out wide with the L2 button. If you position your body correctly then you’ll stab the ball away, but by not committing you’ll also be able to block passing lanes and shepherd attackers away from the goal. Do not over commit as you will get beaten: play it cool, retain good defensive shape, and don’t let your opponent catch you out of position. Try not to be too aggressive as you’ll be picked off, so just focus on making it difficult for your opponent until they make a mistake.
- If you can’t stop the attacker from getting through on goal, then the best you can do is to minimise the risk of them scoring. If you know which players your opponent is using then try to force them onto their weaker foot, or at least shepherd them out wide. Limit your opponent to low-probability shots, like attempts outside of the box or with difficult angles. While you will, inevitably, concede plenty of goals over time, lowering the odds against you will at least put you in the best possible position to win.
Attacking Tips: How to Score More Goals
Of course, if you want to know how to win more matches then you’re going to need to know how to score more goals. The brutal reality is that even if your defence is impenetrable, you’re not going to win any matches if you can’t score a goal. So, for the next phase of our FIFA 23 guide, we’re going to share some attacking tips, which will hopefully help show you how to score more goals:
- You can’t score a goal if you don’t have possession of the ball, so regardless of your tactics and approach, our first recommendation is to make sure you’re recycling the ball when you have no obvious advantage. The best way to score is to pull your opponent out of position, but if you’re up against a good player, there’s a high probability that they won’t bite. You need to keep moving and working the ball until an opportunity opens up. But it’s important to remember that as long as the ball is in your possession, your opponent can’t score. This keeps you on the front foot, and will inevitably lead to errors, which will be your best opportunity to strike.
- While you don’t need to become a total dribble merchant, it can be a good idea to learn a few skill moves. Manoeuvres like the fake shot — performed by pushing the shoot button followed by the pass button — can help you to beat opponents and gain a yard or two of space. This can be particularly effective when you’re one-on-one against a rushing goalkeeper, as you can sit them down and shoot into an empty net. This increases your probability of scoring significantly, which is the outcome you obviously want.
- Don’t be afraid to switch the play and work the ball out wide. Crossing is pretty effective in FIFA 23, and something you’ll want to take advantage of as opposed to just working the ball through the middle. If your formation allows it, make sure your wide players are getting into the box in crossing situations, so you have options at both the near post and far post to exploit.
- The aerial game is much more potent this year, meaning that lofted through balls can be deadly in attack. Hold the L1 button and push triangle to lift the ball into space. You’re going to want to put a little extra bite on the pass so you put it into the area ahead of your striker to run onto, rather than play it to feet.
General Tips: How to Keep Your Head
FIFA 23 is a highly competitive game that’s brilliantly entertaining both in victory and defeat, but the very nature of the game means you will experience moments when you’ll need to know how to keep your head. As part of our FIFA 23 guide, we’re going to share some more general tips, which we hope will help keep you cool and show you how to keep your head:
- Perhaps the most difficult but important thing to accept is that, frankly, there are other players who are better than you. This doesn’t mean you should throw in the towel and call it a day: instead accept that you can improve at the game, and try to learn from what your opponents do. You don’t have to be the number one player in the world to enjoy playing FIFA 23, so adopt an optimistic attitude and try your best. If you get beat, then you get beat. But ask yourself: why did you get beat? What did your opponent do differently? And what can you change to give yourself a better chance of victory next time?
- Even though you will come up against better players at times in FIFA 23, there will also be occasions where you feel you should have won. We’ve all experienced it: a goalkeeping error, a penalty that should never have been awarded, or a deflection that trickles into the goal. It happens. If you feel your blood pressure increasing, then it’s time to take a break. Remember that you’re supposed to be playing the game to relax and have fun. If your mood is bad, then you’ll inevitably make more mistakes, which will only compound your anger. So if you can’t keep calm, then it’s time to turn the game off entirely.
That concludes our FIFA 23 guide. Do you have any other tips and tricks to share and methods of how to win more matches? Be sure to share them in the comments section below.