- GrabFood and Grab deliveries going on strike tomorrow.
- GrabCar drivers not participating in the strike.
- GrabCar service unaffected.
The GrabFood riders in Malaysia plans to go on strike tomorrow (Friday, the 5th of August) in order to protest low delivery fares. They complained that they are forced to work longer hours to earn the same amount.
Source: Muhaimin D. Luffy (Social media)
Mohd Azril Ahmat, a Grab delivery driver, told Coconuts that he expects around 60% of Grab drivers to support the strike, while the other 40% would be against it. The protest began with Grab riders but drivers are also feeling the burden now.
Azril explained that the delivery fares for longer journeys are much lower compared to last time. He said that drivers have always earned RM 5.00 net for deliveries, which is acceptable if it takes five minutes to reach the destination. However, recently Grab is paying the same amount for much longer and further destination, which is unacceptable.
Azril also explained that for a RM 5.00 fare delivery, it would usually take drivers around 15 to 20 minutes to complete the delivery, including pick-up time.
“The ideal fare should be RM 1 equals one minute of delivery time, so a RM 25 ride should take around 25 to 30 minutes. But now a 40-minute journey would cost the same amount,” – Azril said.
When (Coconuts) contacted for comment, Grab denied the above allegations.
Another issue Azril highlighted was the safety of drivers. He said previously they would need to work around 10 hours to reach their daily target but recently the hours have gone up to 12 hours.
The longer hours may be detrimental to the drivers who have no choice but to work even while exhausted, leading to a rise in accidents.
Considering Grab is a dominant player in the industry, it has the ability to influence other companies on how they set their fares.
“So if Grab lower their fares, then others would follow too”, he argued.
“And the arrival of apps that give consumers all the freedom to set fares have had a great impact on drivers. To some extent, Grab had to lower the price of this market in order to compete,” he added.