If you have big fingers, typing on a small keyboard can be troublesome. Thankfully, you can enlarge all the popular keyboards on Android phones like Gboard, SwiftKey, Samsung Keyboard, Chrooma, and Fleksy. This post demonstrates how to make the keyboard bigger on Android. We have also covered how to resize the keyboard if it’s small, floating, or stuck on one side.
Tip: Check out the best smartphones geared toward seniors.
- How to Make Gboard Bigger on Android
- How to Make SwiftKey Bigger on Android
- How to Make Samsung Keyboard Bigger on Android
- How to Make Fleksy Keyboard Bigger on Android
- How to Make Chrooma Keyboard Bigger on Android
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Make Gboard Bigger on Android
There are three ways to enlarge Gboard on Android, depending on the situation you’re facing.
Method 1: By Resizing Keyboard
- Open Messages or any other app to get the Gboard keyboard to show up.
- Tap on the “Settings” icon in the toolbar. If you don’t see the icon, tap on the three-dot icon at the top-left corner of Gboard and select “Settings.”
- Go to “Preferences -> Keyboard height.”
- Select anything above “Normal” i.e., “Mid-tall,” “Tall,” or “Extra-tall” to make your keyboard taller.
- Tap on “Normal” to revert the keyboard height back to the original size.
Method 2: Turn off One-Hand Mode
If Gboard seems to be small and present only on one side of the phone, then you might have accidentally enabled the one-handed mode.
- To turn the one-handed mode off for Gboard, tap on the four-arrow icon on the keyboard. Doing so will make Gboard bigger.
- You can also go to Gboard’s “Settings -> Preferences -> One-handed mode” and select “Off” to disable one-handed mode.
Method 3: Turn off the Floating Keyboard
If Gboard seems to be displaced from its original position and appears in the middle or at the top of the screen, then you have turned on the floating mode of Gboard. Don’t worry, you can easily disable it to make your keyboard bigger as shown below:
- Open the Gboard keyboard in any app.
- Look for the keyboard icon with a bar over it in the Gboard’s top bar. If you don’t see it, tap on the three-dot icon and you will find the icon. Tap on this icon and you will get your Gboard back to the normal size.
Tip: Learn additional tips that will enable you to use Gboard like a pro.
How to Make SwiftKey Bigger on Android
You can resize SwiftKey on Android in the following three ways:
Method 1: Using SwiftKey Toolbar
- Launch SwiftKey in any app.
- Tap on the three-dot icon at the top-right corner of SwiftKey and select “Resize.”
- The SwiftKey preview will show up. Drag the keyboard upwards using the handle to the desired height. You can even move the keyboard upwards using the four-arrow icon in the center. That will add blank space at the bottom of the keyboard. Tap on “OK” to save the changes.
- Tap on “Reset” on the keyboard size preview to restore the SwiftKey keyboard size to default.
Method 2: Using SwiftKey Settings
In case you don’t see the “Resize” icon in the SwiftKey keyboard menu, don’t worry as you can make it bigger from “Settings” as well.
- Launch the SwiftKey keyboard on your phone.
- Tap on the three-dot icon and select “Settings.”
- Go to “Layout & keys” followed by “Resize.”
- Use the three-bar icon on the keyboard and drag it upwards to make SwiftKey bigger and taller.
Method 3: Turn off Modes
If the SwiftKey keyboard seems to be stuck on one side, floating on the screen, or split into two halves, then you need to turn off SwiftKey modes to make it bigger.
- Tap on the three-dot icon at the top-right corner of SwiftKey and select “Modes”.
- Tap on “Full.”
Tip: Get informed regarding differences between Gboard, SwiftKey, and Samsung Keyboard, so that you know which one is the best for you.
How to Make Samsung Keyboard Bigger on Android
You can change the size of the Samsung Keyboard in four different ways:
Method 1: From Toolbar
- Open Samsung Keyboard on your phone.
- Tap on the three-dot icon on the keyboard and select “Keyboard size.” You might have to swipe left to see the option.
- Drag the Samsung keyboard using the blue handles present on the edges or corners to make it bigger.
- Tap on “Done” to resize your keyboard.
- Tap on “Reset” to restore Samsung Keyboard to the default size.
Method 2: From Settings
- In Samsung Keyboard, tap on the three-dot icon in the toolbar and select “Settings.”
- Scroll down and go to “Size and transparency.”
- Use the blue handles to change the size of the Samsung Keyboard and press “Done” to confirm.
Method 3: Turn off the Floating Keyboard
If Samsung Keyboard is small and isn’t at its original location, you will have to turn off the floating mode to make it bigger.
- For that, tap on the three-dot icon on the keyboard and press the “Fixed keyboard” button.
- Go to Samsung Keyboard’s “Settings -> Mode -> Standard” mode to disable split or floating keyboard.
Method 4: Adjust Height and Width Using the Good Lock App
- Install and open the Good Lock app on your Samsung Galaxy phone.
- Install and open the “KeysCafe” module in the Good Lock app.
- Tap on “Make your own keyboard” and enable the option on the next screen.
- Once enabled, tap on “Simple Keyboard” for the preferred language and hit the “Edit” button.
- Long press any key on the keyboard at the bottom and select the “All” option.
- The “Width/Height” box will show up. Tap on the “+” icon to increase the width of the keys. Then, tap on “Height” and similarly press the “+” icon to increase the height.
- When you are satisfied with the size of the Samsung Keyboard, tap on the checkmark icon at the top to use the new size for your keyboard.
Method 5: Increase the Size of Individual Keys
The KeysCafe module in the Good Lock app also lets you make individual keys or buttons bigger on the Samsung Keyboard.
- Follow the first four steps of the above method.
- Long press the key on the keyboard at the bottom that you want to make bigger.
- Use the “+” icon for the “Width” and “Height” options to increase its size. Similarly, you can make other frequently used keys bigger.
- Tap on the checkmark icon at the top to confirm the changes.
Tip: Get up to speed on how you can easily change the color of the Samsung Keyboard.
How to Make Fleksy Keyboard Bigger on Android
- Open the Fleksy keyboard on your Android phone.
- Tap on the “Settings” icon in the toolbar followed by “Look.”
- Here you will get different options to customize your keyboard look. Tap on “Keyboard height” to expand it and select “Large.”
How to Make Chrooma Keyboard Bigger on Android
- Open the Chrooma keyboard on your phone.
- Tap on the “+” icon to open the toolbar, in case it isn’t open.
- Tap the gear-shaped icon in the toolbar and select the “Settings” button from the menu that appears.
- Go to “Layout basic.” Use the slider under the “Keyboard size” to increase the size of your virtual writing instrument.
- Press anywhere to save the changes.
Good to know: Annoying by the sound your virtual keyboard makes when you type on your phone? Here’s how you can switch it off.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you add a number row to the keyboard?
Yes, you can add a number row to all the popular keyboards. Check our guide to learn how to add a number row on the Android and iPhone keyboards.
How to reset the Android keyboard back to default settings?
On your Android phone, go to “Settings -> Apps.” Tap on the keyboard that you want to restore to default settings. Hit the “Storage -> Clear data.”
How to make the keyboard bigger on WhatsApp?
WhatsApp doesn’t have its unique keyboard. You have to change the size of the default keyboard of your phone in order to make the keyboard bigger on WhatsApp as well.
All screenshots by Mehvish Mushtaq