What you need to know
- Mojang Studios lets the community test upcoming Minecraft updates and changes through regular betas and snapshots.
- Minecraft: Java Edition, the legacy PC version of Minecraft, is grabbing a new snapshot with a handful of fixes today.
- Snapshot 22w05a is definitely a minor release, but Mojang Studios is reportedly working on more significant changes for the future.
Minecraft: Java Edition, the original version of Minecraft with full-blown mod support and more, regularly tests upcoming features and changes through a series of snapshots. With Minecraft’s next major content update on the horizon, Mojang Studios is undoubtedly working on huge additions in the background. The latest Minecraft: Java Edition snapshot doesn’t include any of these changes, yet, but it does feature a handful of helpful fixes while the work continues elsewhere.
The Wild Update is the next Minecraft content update, and will include a huge number of new features for players to explore. Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w05a is still under the current Caves and Cliffs Update umbrella, and as such only includes minor fixes and improvements (like making foxes aware of powder snow and its dangers).
However, Mojang Studios is reportedly working on more significant updates for future snapshots, which is exciting. Minecraft: Bedrock Edition betas already include several The Wild Update features, even frogs. Java Edition players, hopefully, shouldn’t have to wait too long before being able to test these new features themselves.
Even when the snapshots don’t include any fun new additions, Minecraft is one of the greatest games ever made, and perpetually holds a spot as one of the best PC games you can play. The Wild Update arrives sometime in 2022 with new biomes like the Deep Dark, new mobs like frogs, and much more. In the near future, Mojang Studios should begin testing more of the features coming to Minecraft: Java Edition with The Wild Update.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w05a includes:
- A change in 22w03a that re-arranged Badlands biome layouts has been reverted to avoid causing generation changes and chunk borders. This change will be re-introduced later
- Water graphical glitch when connecting diagonally
- Water looks like it flows up
- Structure blocks do not rotate entities correctly when loading
- Pointed dripstone can replace blocks when generating
- Wood pillars from mineshafts are generating on pointed dripstones
- Abandoned Mineshafts don’t delete dripstone in certain situations
- Foxes will lay down in powder snow and not try to escape even when taking damage
- Biome Selector is disordered in other languages
- Slimes spawn in “Redstone Ready” superflat worlds
- Outdated chests’ loot tables get deleted when updating to 1.18.1
- Campfires and hoppers cause constant chunk saving
- Deleting a world no longer logs that a world is being deleted
- The player disappears at certain heights
- Teleporting below level 0 from the overworld to another dimension freezes the game on the loading screen until player dies
/placefeaturecrashes client when connected to a server
- Harsh chunk borders appear when upgrading to 22w03a
- Players get stuck on the “Loading terrain…” screen after rejoining the world whilst above or below the build limit