Starting in January 2018, Community Day is a monthly event in Pokémon GO that shines the spotlight on a particular Pokémon. For one day each month, a Pokémon selected by Niantic will have its spawn rate increased during a block of hours. Also, the Shiny appearance rate for the starring Pokémon will be boosted. There are also other perks to Community Day – such as the featured Pokémon knowing at least one exclusive attack through evolution, increased duration for Lure Modules, Event Boxes, and more.
While Community Day is only one day a month (typically), Pokémon appearing in Community Days from January to November of the same calendar year will come back in December. The Community Day hosted in December is a two-day event where Community Day Pokémon from the same and previous year will return via Raids, Eggs, and increased spawns. So if you’re unable to partake in a specific Community Day, there’s always another chance to catch that Pokémon again (and its Shiny version)!
In addition to that, Niantic brought back Community Days of old with Community Day Classic! Debuting in January 2022, this spin-off event resembled Community Days from 2018, but with some additional event bonuses (namely photobomb encounters).
Please note that the standard hours for Community Day have changed. Niantic has started to use the old “2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time” block for Community Day events going forward, starting with April 2022. In addition to this, starting with June 2022, a five-hour-long Raid-focused event called Bonus Raid Battles after Community Day has been implemented. Due to this “sub-event”, the evolution time to get the Community Day exclusive move has been extended.
When will Pokémon GO’s August 2022 Community Day take place?
August 2022’s Community Day will be happening on Saturday, August 13th, 2022 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. your local time.
The Bonus Raid Battles after Community Day “sub-event” will be happening right after – Saturday, August 13th, 2022 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. your local time.
What Pokémon is showcased in August 2022‘s Community Day?
The Pokémon featured for this August 2022’s Community Day is Galarian Zizagoon. You’ll find that Galarian Zizagoon will be appearing more frequently in the wild and, if you’re lucky, you might even encounter a Shiny one!
What is the exclusive attack for August 2022’s Community Day?
Evolve Galarian Zizagoon into Galarian Lioone into Obstagoon (via 125 Zigzagoon Candies – 25 from Galarian Zigzagoon to Galarian Lioone, and 100 from Galarian Lioone to Obstagoon) and you’ll have an Obstagoon that will know Obstruct (Charged Attack).
Obstruct’s attack stats are the following:
- Trainer Battles: 15 power and guaranteed to increase the user’s Defense and lower the opponent’s Defense.
- Gyms and Raids: 20 power.
Note: This attack can only be learned when Galarian Lioone is evolved in Obstagoon (via 100 Zigzagoon Candies) on Saturday, August 13th, 2022 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. your local time.
Are there any bonuses for August 2022‘s Community Day?
Yes, the bonuses for Community Day are:
- 3× Catch Stardust
- 2× Candy for catching Pokémon
- 2× chance for Trainers level 31 and up to receive XL Candy from catching Pokemon.
- Lure Modules activated during the event will last for three hours.
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours.
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise! (Pokémon photobomb spawn. Can be repeated up to 5 times.)
- One additional Special Trade can be made for a maximum of three for the day (active from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. your local time).
Ultra Unlock event bonuses (available from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. your local time)
- 2× XP for catching Pokémon
- 2× Candy for transferring Pokémon
- Two additional Special Trades can be made during the event. This bonus stacks with the additional Special Trade bonus for the Season of GO, for a maximum of four Special Trades for the day.
- Trades made during the event will require 75% less Stardust
- Note: This bonus overwrites the initially announced “Trades made during the event will require 50% less Stardust” perk.
Group Play Bonus
Work together with other trainers to unlock additional bonuses in that location!
- If enough Pokémon are caught by Trainers with help from a single Lure Module, the 3× Stardust bonus for catching Pokémon near the Lured PokéStop will be increased to a 4× bonus Stardust for 30 minutes.
- This bonus will not stack with the base 3× Catch Stardust bonus and will instead replace it for the duration.
What is the Special Research Story for August 2022‘s Community Day?
The Community Day Special Research Story is called Field Notes: Galarian Zigzagoon. It’s a paid-for quest that costs $1.00 USD (or the equivalent pricing in your local currency). A complete list of tasks and rewards for this Special Research Story will be added once the event is live.
What is the Timed Research for August 2022‘s Community Day?
An event-exclusive Timed Research will be available from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Your task is to catch a total of one hundred (100) Galarian Zigzagoon. This will be broken up into various tasks and Trainers can earn the following rewards:
- Obstagoon Hat
- Obstagoon Glasses
- Obstagoon Gloves
- Obstagoon Pose
Note: These items will also be available for purchase in the in-game shop after the event.
Are there any special Raids for August 2022‘s Community Day?
For August 2022’s Community Day, there will be a special Bonus Raid Battles after Community Day event.
On Saturday, August 13th, 2022 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. your local time special Four-Star Raids featuring Galarian Linoone will be appearing at Gyms.
Four-Star Raid Bonuses
- Defeating a Galarian Linoone Raid during this event will cause Galarian Zigzagoon to appear in a 300-meter (about 984.252 ft) radius around the Gym (where the Raid took place at) for 30 minutes.
- Shiny rates for Galarian Zigzagoon will be the same as August 2022 Community Day’s event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. your local time.
Four-Star Raid Limitations
- These Raids can only be accessed with Raid Passes and Premium Battle Passes.
- Remote Raid Passes cannot be used.
Are there any Event Bundles for August 2022‘s Community Day?
There will be some Event Bundles available during the event. A full list will be added here once Community Day is active.
Are there any special event-themed stickers for August 2022‘s Community Day?
Yes – there will be an assortment of Galarian Zigzagoon and Obstagoon-themed stickers. You can get them by spinning PokéStops, opening Gifts, and/or purchasing them from Pokémon GO’s in-game shop during the event.
Are there any other bonuses/tasks for August 2022‘s Community Day?
Yes, Niantic has begun to host In-Person Activations and Virtual Activations in select cities. For a full list of available locations (US), you can check out the interactive map on the dedicated blog post on the official Pokémon GO blog OR check out your region’s official Pokémon GO blog. Interactive maps also include “Popular Parks”, but these locations will not have any additional bonuses available.
- In-Person Activations: Can easily partake in the Group Play Bonus and/or receive other perks (such as free swag if there’s an Amazon Prime rep on site).
- Virtual Activations: PokéStops will give out more items.
Plus, this Community Day overlaps with the Bug Out! event. That particular event also has its own “Raid Battle Bonuses for Groups”. It’s not known if it will overlap with the Bonus Raid Battles after Community Day, but if you suddenly find yourself surrounded by Kricketot* spawns after an in-person Raid battle (with three or more people) for 15 minutes, then have fun double dipping on this bonus.